Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Choosing a domain name - .com vs .co.uk

Author: Jamie Webb
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Choosing a domain name - .com vs .co.uk
On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:15:30PM +0000, Richard Harrison wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a bit abstract...
>
> Say you want to register a internet domain name, and both .com and .co.uk
> are available, is there a reason to go for one over the other?

You should get both, plus any likely misspellings, plus the other
gTLDs. Domain names are cheap. Dealing with typosquatters isn't.

As for which name you actually use... I'd say the sole advantage of
.co.uk is that people will instantly know that you are UK-based.
Conversely, .com may suggest a larger or more global company.
Therefore, .com is likely to be a better choice for tech and purely
online brands, whereas .co.uk may be better for companies with more
geographical restrictions.

> My instinct is that, for a UK firm looking for local business, .com
> suggests something 'whizzy' and new, whereas .co.uk suggests something
> more established and permanent.

I'd say that impression is merely a consequence of .co.uk being a
better choice for brick-and-mortar companies, as noted above.

> What about search engine ranking? Is it likely to make a difference?

Not significantly, but if you get both, you don't have to worry bout
that.

/J