Re: [Hampshire] NFS file permissions and OOo

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NFS file permissions and OOo

> I have a problem with NFS. I have a folder on my server called
> ~/shareddata
>
> I have a line in /etc/exports that reads
> /home/philip/shareddata 192.168.0.10(rw)

Change this line to:-

/home/philip/shareddata 192.168.0.10(rw,sync)

> On my desktop, I have a line in fstab
> 192.168.0.2:/home/philip/shareddata     /home/philip/mydata     nfs
> defaults        0       0

> Now, some times when I boot the desktop, it does not mount the
> share. Other times it does. When it is mounted, I can read an write
> files on the share from a terminal window. However, the same files
> will only open a read-only when using OpenOffice.

When you login to a terminal are you the same user that uses OOo to try to
save files?

Does the shared directory have the correct user, group and permission
assignments?

Do you have the portmap service running on the client?

Damian

--
Damian Brasher
www.interlinux.co.uk