Re: [Hampshire] NFS file permissions and OOo

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: hants, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NFS file permissions and OOo
* Damian Brasher (lug@???) wrote:

> > I have a problem with NFS. I have a folder on my server called
> > ~/shareddata
> >
> > I have a line in /etc/exports that reads
> > /home/philip/shareddata 192.168.0.10(rw)
>
> Change this line to:-
>
> /home/philip/shareddata 192.168.0.10(rw,sync)

OK, I have done that.

> When you login to a terminal are you the same user that uses OOo to try to
> save files?

Yes. I have only one user account on this machine. I can open and
save files from a terminal window, with vi. However, OOo will only
open them as read only.

I am using Ubuntu 6.10 if that makes a difference

> Does the shared directory have the correct user, group and permission
> assignments?

As far as I can tell. The user is philip and an ls -l of the shared
folder from the client looks like this:-

-rw-r--r-- 1 philip philip 11765 2006-12-17 13:29 mcm0001.odt

I can't understand why vi would be able to open and save a file. I
can copy file to the share from the terminal. I can even use the GUI
to copy files about, but OOo will only open files as read only

> Do you have the portmap service running on the client?

Yes.

> Damian

Thanks for you input, Damian.

--