Re: [Hampshire] NFS file permissions and OOo

Author: Tim B - Systems
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NFS file permissions and OOo
NFS works on numeric UIDs and GIDs. It is quite possible to have two users
with the same name, but different UIDs on different machines. if the UID and
GID are different, then one machine will only open the file "other"
permissions.

Solution: Check that the numeric UIDs and GIDs are the same on both machines.

I use a similar system, but because I potentially need to be able to expand
the system, I use NIS to manage all my user accounts from the server. It's a
great system, but in most cases for less than four machines it's overkill
(depending on how lazy you're feeling).

Best of luck,

Tim B.

--