Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What distro?
On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 00:17 +0000, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Just FWIW, there's probably not a lot of difference between Debian Etch
> and Ubuntu 6.10 in terms of package versions as they are released
> relatively closely. Ubuntu Server generally has more up-to-date packages
> for those who like to avoid extensive backports to Debian Stable. Other
> than that (and the option of commercial support), there isn't a great
> deal in it, to be honest. Of course, it's up to everyone to make their
> own mind up.

There is of course the shorter release cycle of Ubuntu which for some
people might be handy. I realise that for some people they like their
servers to stay steady with few changing packages and thus don't relish
upgrades. However some people like the latest and greatest packages
which are also supported by security updates. With a 6-month release
cycle that makes Ubuntu more attractive (in my opinion) than Debian (for
that requirement).

My main server here is Debian, not sure whether I will upgrade to Etch
or migrate to Dapper.

Cheers,
Al.