Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5806a100.hantslug.org.uk.23680': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Dec 28 00:17:27 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 12:54:30PM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:
>> * debian
>
> My choice.
> For those that say Ubuntu I'd ask what the gain is in the role
> of a server..? (Sure their desktop is pretty/simpler/different but
> my understanding is that Ubuntu server is much less customized.)

Just FWIW, there's probably not a lot of difference between Debian Etch
and Ubuntu 6.10 in terms of package versions as they are released
relatively closely. Ubuntu Server generally has more up-to-date packages
for those who like to avoid extensive backports to Debian Stable. Other
than that (and the option of commercial support), there isn't a great
deal in it, to be honest. Of course, it's up to everyone to make their
own mind up.

Cheers,

Tony