Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56fee100.hantslug.org.uk.27984': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 1 17:00:25 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Tuesday 26 December 2006 13:26, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 12:54:30PM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:
> > My problem is picking the distro.
> >
> > So for your internet facing box what distros do you use?
>
> The best distribution is most likely the one you know best,
> and can find support on. Regardless of what anybody else will
> tell you.

While I personally think Debian is best, I most strongly agree with Steve on
this: "what you know and like the best, is probably the best to use for you".
If you know something well then that's half the battle.

There are advantages for Debian for a server, it's long shelf-life, package
availability and stability and generally good security track record all
spring to mind. However if you are an "X" user then I think your familiarity
with "X" may be more important.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The problem with cruel and unusual punishment is that you have to keep
being creative.  For example, some may call it cruel and unusual to turn
a spammer into spam, but by the time you feed the hundredth into the
woodchipper it's become quite usual.
    -- Anthony de Boer in the Monastery