Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What distro?
Jacqui Caren <jacqui.caren@???> wrote:
> I am planning to replace an aging mandrake box
> that acts as a fireall, mailhub, webserver and
> general dogsbody with a newer "lowend" box.
>
> My problem is picking the distro.
>
> So for your internet facing box what distros do
> you use?

At The Society of St. James, I use Debian Sarge on
servers and firewalls. I do keep the two separate,
but then we're not short on hardware.

I've found Debian to be stable and reliable. It's
also quite straight-forward to pare the machine
down to the bare essentials, ideal for firewall
boxes.

cron-apt is an extremely useful tool, too.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.