Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

Author: sean gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What distro?
Andy Random wrote:

---8<---

> I use Debian Sarge on my mail, web and general dogsbody server (I haven't
> decided if I will upgrade to Etch yet although if I was setting up a new
> machine from scratch Etch would likely be what I'd go for) but use a
> dedicated broadband router as a firewall.

Having run Debian Sarge at home for about 18 months for pretty much the
same purpose I'd have to say that if stability and ease of maintenance
is what you are after you won't go far wrong.

I am about to push the mail back to my ISP on account of the fact that I
don't need the hassle of rebuilding a machine if my disk dies. I reached
this conclusion when it occurred to me that RAID and UPS were probably
the next logical steps; no doubt an HA cluster* would have followed and
that is getting a little too much like work!

I have just bought a cheapy ASRock Intel board and a Celeron to go into
a lovely (quiet) Antec case. This will be the file/print/Web server for
the household now, and will be running Ubuntu 6.06 for a combination of
stability and slightly more advanced features now that it is less critical.

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Steve Kemp wrote:
>
>> The best distribution is most likely the one you know best,
>> and can find support on. Regardless of what anybody else will
>> tell you.
>
> I'd certainly agree with that, but as a member of Hants LUG support for
> Debian is pretty good and if you use it already I'd say it was a strong
> candidate.
>
> That said I'm actually thinking of setting up a FC server at home so I can
> experiment with it as that's what I am using at work these days.

I have a CentOS** server running on VMWare for pretty much the same
reason. I like yum from an admin point of view, but am not so taken with
it that I want to go over to an rpm-based system entirely.

Sean

* joking!

** we use RHEL at work, and CentOS is the closest I can get to it
without handing over money!