Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, sean gibbins wrote:

> I have a CentOS** server running on VMWare for pretty much the same
> reason.

If I had a machine at home that would give decent performance while
running VMWare I might consider it, but I don't think any of my machines
has the horse power (or more likely the memory) to support that option
well. I do however have spare old machines.

Work uses a combination of paid for Red Hat on servers that require it for
application support (like Clearcase) and FC (mostly old versions) on
servers that are running open source software like CVS and Apache.

> I like yum from an admin point of view, but am not so taken with it that
> I want to go over to an rpm-based system entirely.

I'm certainly not going to convert over to Red Hat for personal stuff but
would like to be able to play with FC a bit so I can learn more about it,
and "playing" on a live server is a bad idea.

Andy