[Hampshire] Which desktop distro debian or ubuntu?

Author: Richard Green
To: Hampshire List
Subject: [Hampshire] Which desktop distro debian or ubuntu?
Hi,

I'm building my first Linux desktop PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
and Asus P5b Deluxe motherboard.

I have used Debian before on a virtual server and so would like to use
either Debian or Ubuntu on my new pc but I'm not really sure which. I
was tempted to use Debian unstable (or would testing be better?) What
would I gain from using Ubuntu over Debian? I'm also planning to use KDE
from my limited experience of it if that makes any difference. It would
also be good if I could use an installer with a 2.6.18 or later kernel
due to earlier kernels not working with my IDE chipset :(

Finally I was wondering if I should use a standard version of the distro
or the 64 bit version? Its basically going to be used as a desktop PC
for surfing/email/office/chat,etc. possibly running Apache or other
servers primarily to test/develop or just for use on the LAN so there
will be no high load on them. I will also be using vmware and/or xen.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated :)

--
Thanks,
Rich