Re: [Hampshire] Which desktop distro debian or ubuntu?

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which desktop distro debian or ubuntu?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56d94100.hantslug.org.uk.27144': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 1 19:10:07 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Monday 01 January 2007 18:29, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 06:18:08PM +0000, Richard Green wrote:
> > I'm building my first Linux desktop PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
> > and Asus P5b Deluxe motherboard.
> >

> If you're going to use Debian and you're quite new to it then
> testing would probably be much better as unstable can live up to its
> name.

The difference is small. John lives on the edge and runs sid, which is mostly
okay. I've run testing since Etch came out and it's been mostly okay - though
sometimes things do get bumpy. If you want to know exactly where you are then
run Stable, but at the end it does go a bit out of date. If you haven't got
your system up and running then starting with Etch which is about to go from
testing to stable could be good timing.

> > What would I gain from using Ubuntu over Debian?
>
> You will probably as a newcomer to Linux desktop find (K)Ubuntu a lot
> easier to get to grips with.

To each their own. Ubuntu is built on Debian and is very Debian like. Ubuntu
tries to make things easier and some people say this makes it friendlier (to
start) some say it makes it harder (to get exactly what you want). I don't
use Ubuntu so I can't comment. The six month release cycle of ubuntu is
either a very good thing or a very bad thing - take your pick!

> > Finally I was wondering if I should use a standard version of the distro
> > or the 64 bit version?
>
> 64bit version of either debian testing or Ubuntu should be
> reasonably trouble free. You will run into some problems with a few
> apps not being available for 64bit (such as openoffice I think? and
> some common webbrowser plugins) and therefore have some ugly
> workarounds. If you're prepared for that spot of bother and the
> research that you will need to get around it then sure, go 64bit.
>
> Otherwise you probably won't notice any performance degaradaton from
> running it in 32bit.

Most apps in Debian are native 64-bit and just work, even OpenOffice.org 2.
You will find that the handfull of apps that are not available as 32-bit will
mostly run if you install the 32-bit compatability libraries - though some
tweaking may be required, or from a chrooted 32-bit environment.

The only grief you tend to get is if you want 64-bit and 32-bit programs
directly linking, e.g. 32-bit Flash/Java/Adobe/RealPlayer in a 64-bit
Firefox. There are ways round this but it is a pain in the posterior.

See:
    https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
    http://www.debian-administration.org/users/figjam/weblog/1
    http://www.xaraxtreme.org/download/ (see the bit on AMD64)

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor