Re: [Hampshire] Which desktop distro debian or ubuntu?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which desktop distro debian or ubuntu?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57632100.hantslug.org.uk.29146': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 1 18:29:01 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 06:18:08PM +0000, Richard Green wrote:
> I'm building my first Linux desktop PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
> and Asus P5b Deluxe motherboard.
>
> I have used Debian before on a virtual server and so would like to use
> either Debian or Ubuntu on my new pc but I'm not really sure which. I
> was tempted to use Debian unstable (or would testing be better?)

If you're going to use Debian and you're quite new to it then
testing would probably be much better as unstable can live up to its
name.

> What would I gain from using Ubuntu over Debian?

You will probably as a newcomer to Linux desktop find (K)Ubuntu a lot
easier to get to grips with.

> Finally I was wondering if I should use a standard version of the distro
> or the 64 bit version?

64bit version of either debian testing or Ubuntu should be
reasonably trouble free. You will run into some problems with a few
apps not being available for 64bit (such as openoffice I think? and
some common webbrowser plugins) and therefore have some ugly
workarounds. If you're prepared for that spot of bother and the
research that you will need to get around it then sure, go 64bit.

Otherwise you probably won't notice any performance degaradaton from
running it in 32bit.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.