Re: [Hampshire] What distro?

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What distro?
On 28/12/06, Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:
> There is of course the shorter release cycle of Ubuntu which for some
> people might be handy. I realise that for some people they like their
> servers to stay steady with few changing packages and thus don't relish
> upgrades. However some people like the latest and greatest packages
> which are also supported by security updates. With a 6-month release
> cycle that makes Ubuntu more attractive (in my opinion) than Debian (for
> that requirement).

The flipside of this is that a greater number of packages are
supported with security and stability updates in Debian, whereas with
Ubuntu a lot of packages are relegated to Universe and are not
officially supported with security releases.

This only matters if you use packages from Universe (look them up at
[1]), so again, it depends on individual circumstance.

[1] http:///packages.ubuntu.com