Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Thank you - was Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network
On 28/12/06, hantslug@??? <hantslug@???> wrote:
> Is there any way that a USB ADSL modem can be connected to more than one
> computer, say via a hub? And that both computers can then access the
> Internet? And no, if I were going to Dublin I wouldn't go this way either.
>
> TIA
> Lisi

The answer is No.
There are two alternative options:
1)
a) Still use USB ADSL modem on one machine.
b) Add ethernet network cards to each machine (if they don't yet have ethernet)
c) String an ethernet CAT5 crossover cable between machines.
d) Use NAT on the machine with the USB ADSL modem so that the second
machine can share the same connection. (iptables in Linux, Internet
connection sharing in Windows)

2)
a) Use a ADSL router with an integrated hub/switch
b) Add ethernet network cards to each machine (if they don't yet have ethernet)
c) Connect each machine to the ADSL router with two straight through
CAT5 cables.
d) Configure the ADSL router with the following (I have not tested
this with AOL, I just found it via google.)
AOL Silver is compatible with home networking. Use an ADSL router.
Ditch the AOL software (you don't need any of it if you have webmail).
You need to set the router as follows:
Modulation: GDMT
PPPoA
LLC encapsulation
Nat ON, Firewall ON
MTU 1400
MRU 1400

user: whatever@???
pass: whatever
Only one of the machines can connect to AOL at any one time, but both
machine will be able to surf the internet at the same time.

My recommendation is option (2) because it protects you better from
viruses and crackers.

James