Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] USB modem and network
On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:10 -0500, Andy Random wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> > > He is changing to Sky broadband in two or three months' time and Sky supplies
> > > a Netgear DG834xx for free.
> > >

> > Hahah, I'd stay with AOL!
>
> Any reason for this comment other than your dislike of all things Murdoch?
>

>From years of experience of AOL seems to be "when it works, it works

well". I see little reason to go from a large corporation who has many
many years of experience of making a service for *exactly* this kind of
user to a company which is relatively new to this sector and
deliberately cripples the hardware they supply. Just makes no sense to
me.

Oh, and yes, I don't like many of Murdochs other products so this does
conveniently fall into line.

> I know a number of people who are very happy with their Sky broadband, it
> is true none of them are really "power users" they have no interest in
> fiddling with the connection or setting up servers at home, but for email
> and web browsing (which is probably all Lisi's friends want) it seems to
> work and allow multiple machines to access the connection ok.

I have a friend at work who had exactly the opposite experience.
Everyone has sorry tales to tell of any software/hardware/service
provider.

> > He does realise that when he gets Sky broadband he is going to need a
> > network card in both machines doesn't he? In which case if they already
> > have them he *could* string an ethernet cable between them and share the
> > DSL connection from one to the other right now. If he *doesn't* have
> > ethernet cards on the PCs (onboard or otherwise) then he will come an
> > equal cropper when Sky broadband is installed.
>
> Much as it pains me to agree with Alan, he has a very valid point there.

Hah, still living with that pain eh Andy?

Cheers,
Al.