[Hampshire] Firewire external HDD

Author: Chris Aitken
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Firewire external HDD
Hi All,

I'm after an external firewire HDD > 320 Gb. However, cost is an issue.

I can buy a large IDE HDD, and install it in my system, then buy a
firewire enclosure at a later date, or wait and get an external HDD.

I have lots of DV to edit and burn to DVD, so I could do with this
sooner rather than later. It does need to be external at some point so
I can back up all our photos etc.

Is there any difference/advantage in buying a complete external HDD,
compared with buying ann IDE drive and installing it within an
enclosure? Either way, can anyone recommend somewhere cheap for large
HDDs - looked at ebuyer & novatech already.

Cheers
Chris