[Hampshire] NFS group permissions

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] NFS group permissions

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57a8a100.hantslug.org.uk.20896': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jan 6 12:14:30 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

I have three boxes, two Etch clients and one Sarge Server. All are running the
stock NFS userspace server. The users have the same uid and gid on all three
boxes.

I'm having problems where users can only edit files if they own them, even
though the files are rw for the group that the user is a member of. If the
user edits the file directly on the server, everything is okay, when they try
to edit the file via NFS they get a permission denied problem on the console.

They can happily edit a file via NFS if they own it. I'm sure this use to work
perfectly, but I'm not 100% sure.

What and where should I be looking to try and fix this?

As ever, thanks in advance.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Stupidity maintained long enough is a form of malice
    -- Richard Bos's corollary