Re: [Hampshire] NFS group permissions

Author: Graham Bleach
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NFS group permissions
On 06/01/07, Adam Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> I have three boxes, two Etch clients and one Sarge Server. All are running the
> stock NFS userspace server. The users have the same uid and gid on all three
> boxes.
>
> I'm having problems where users can only edit files if they own them, even
> though the files are rw for the group that the user is a member of. If the
> user edits the file directly on the server, everything is okay, when they try
> to edit the file via NFS they get a permission denied problem on the console.
>
> They can happily edit a file via NFS if they own it. I'm sure this use to work
> perfectly, but I'm not 100% sure.
>
> What and where should I be looking to try and fix this?

What piece of software are users editing the files with?

If they try appending data to the files without using some form of
editor, using something like "echo foo >> file" do they get the same
error message?

What are the permissions on the directory?

One possible cause is that the editor they are using to amend the
files is trying to create a new file in the directory and getting
permission denied errors. Another is that it is trying to set extended
attributes that the NFS server does not support.