Re: [Hampshire] More on the M$ and Novell deal

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] More on the M$ and Novell deal
Adam Trickett wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 09:57, John Cooper wrote:
>
>> This article really shows what the deal is all about and hopefully
>> anyone who thinks it will help Linux will think again.
>>

> Some people have suggested that most of the deal is actually a clever move by
> Novell, the have Microsoft in an awkward place, and it's Novell that's mostly
> in the driving seat. The patent deal is in bad faith, but as it may be
> worthless (and Novell may know this), it could be that MS have coughed up
> $400m to Novell and get nothing of any use in return.

I doubt that M$ would change its strategy it has successfully used up to
now.

Andy Smith wrote:

>"Duh, Linux is a threat. The rest of the article reads like hearsay FUD."

>I particularly cannot imagine what a fantasy such as the following is doing in a supposedly credible news source:

It isn't fantasy but it is FUD. It is someone applying their strategy to
the type of meeting that would have been called and playing them at
their own game. It shows the most likely reason of Embrace, extend and
extinguish. They can't touch the GPL so trying to fragment the community
is one way to try and reduce the threat.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk