[Hampshire] LUG Twinning

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] LUG Twinning

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57a52100.hantslug.org.uk.32495': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 14 03:28:10 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
An idea struck me.

There are individuals and groups of Linux users who are not blessed with
stonking fast net connections and ridiculously cheap media as we are in
the UK. They might benefit from a package sent from a UK user group who
do. This could comprise one or two copies of each of the major distros
latest releases, sent once every six months or so.

This would cost us relatively little but could be tremendously useful in
outlying regions where access to latest releases is difficult. All it
would take is one member to burn one CD - even the smallest of LUGs
could muster 5 people - to total 5 CDs to send.

Each LUG could find a "twin" LUG. They could each "write to" eachother
(pen pal style) but in public. In a kind of blog or bulletin board. If
net access is really crappy for them, then they could post via snail
mail and we could type it up our end.

It just struck me that we are pretty lucky in the UK with our broadband
homes, JANET connected LUG locations and (for many) fast internet to the
desk at work. How about we spread a bit of that with other less
fortunate people?

Are people already doing this? Should "we" (this LUG and/or other LUGs)?
Is this a stupid idea? The kind that hits one at 03:20.

Cheers,
Al.