Re: [Hampshire] [Software] Postfix Configuration Problem

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Software] Postfix Configuration Problem
Nick Chalk wrote:
> Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
>
>> Nick Chalk wrote:
>>
>>> Is the host www an internal system?
>>>
>> No, and I really cannot think where that is
>> coming from. The system running Postfix is
>> called bender for short and has a fully-qualifed
>> name of mail.funkygibbins.me.uk, which resolves
>> to 81.2.99.91 externally and 192.168.1.40
>> internally.
>>

> Now I'm confused. Which system did you take those
> logs from?

Sorry to confuse Nick, I think I may have misinterpreted your question,
"Is the host www an internal system?" to imply that the system was
called 'www' due to a nisconfiguration. The logs are from the mailserver
referenced above, the intimate details of which I have appended here [1].

> The log entries suggest an internally-generated
> mail - the message-id is @mail.funkygibbins.me.uk,
> and it uses a null from address - but the Postfix
> system doesn't know where to deliver it.
>
> Do you store your mail on mail.funkygibbins.me.uk?

Previously yes, I used imap and the mail was stored on the server.

Latterly though I have changed the hardware, and for the period that the
server was being rebuilt on new hardware I pushed the mail back to my
isp, Andrews and Arnold, and currently bring it in from their pop3
server. I am trying to iron out the wrinkles on this system before I
switch back.
> What do you have myhostname, myorigin, and
> mydestination set to in main.cf?

myhostname = mail.funkygibbins.me.uk
myorigin = /etc/mailname ['cat /etc/mailname' returns
mail.funkygibbins.me.uk]
mydestination =

Sean

[1]
root@bender:~# hostname
bender
root@bender:~# hostname -f
mail.funkygibbins.me.uk

root@bender:~# nslookup mail.funkygibbins.me.uk
Server:         217.169.20.20
Address:        217.169.20.20#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mail.funkygibbins.me.uk
Address: 81.2.99.91

Pinging mail.funkygibbins.me.uk from the internal network goes to
192.168.1.40 due to an entry in /etc/hosts.