Re: [Hampshire] [Software] Postfix Configuration Problem

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Software] Postfix Configuration Problem
Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
> Nick Chalk wrote:
>> Now I'm confused. Which system did you take
>> those logs from?
> Sorry to confuse Nick, I think I may have
> misinterpreted your question, "Is the host www
> an internal system?" to imply that the system
> was called 'www' due to a nisconfiguration. The
> logs are from the mailserver referenced above,
> the intimate details of which I have appended
> here [1].

Right. So syslog thinks the machine is called
'www' for some reason. There's nothing in
/etc/hosts with that name?

>> Do you store your mail on
>> mail.funkygibbins.me.uk?
> Previously yes, I used imap and the mail was
> stored on the server.
>
> Latterly though I have changed the hardware, and
> for the period that the server was being rebuilt
> on new hardware I pushed the mail back to my
> isp, Andrews and Arnold, and currently bring it
> in from their pop3 server. I am trying to iron
> out the wrinkles on this system before I switch
> back.

So you're using a mail client to fetch from A&A's
POP3 server directly?

Have you changed the Postfix config to handle
internally-generated mail? I suspect not, and
that's what's causing this problem.

>> What do you have myhostname, myorigin, and
>> mydestination set to in main.cf?
> myhostname = mail.funkygibbins.me.uk
> myorigin = /etc/mailname ['cat /etc/mailname'
> returns mail.funkygibbins.me.uk]
> mydestination =

Eek! A blank mydestination isn't good - that means
no mail will be delivered to the local machine
that Postfix is running on. At the very least, you
should have localhost, and probably the host's
fully-qualified domain name.

If you wanted to store mail on the server, you'd
need to put the domain name in mydestination as
well. Here's an example from Jamie's...

mydestination = jamiescomputerclub.org.uk,
                tabby.private.jamiescomputerclub.org.uk,
                localhost.private.jamiescomputerclub.org.uk,
                tabby,
                localhost

If you wanted to push mail back out to A&A's mail
server, you need to set up Postfix as a relay
host. mydestination in that case would look
something like this, taken from SSJ's mail
server...

mydestination = calico.private.societyofstjames.org.uk,
                localhost.private.societyofstjames.org.uk,
                calico,
                localhost

Note the omission of the bare domain name in this
case. You'll probably also need to set up a
default relay, most likely your ISP's mail server.
Something like...

relayhost = [mailhost.zen.co.uk]

The square brackets turn off MX-lookups.

So, the question is, what do you want to do with
internal mail?

I think I'd suggest setting up IMAP now, as it'll
be easier than trying to push mail out to the
ISP's server. I have a stable Postfix and Dovecot
set-up that you're welcome to copy.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.