Re: [Hampshire] [Software] Postfix Configuration Problem

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Software] Postfix Configuration Problem
Nick Chalk wrote:

---8<---

>>> What do you have myhostname, myorigin, and
>>> mydestination set to in main.cf?
>>>
>> myhostname = mail.funkygibbins.me.uk
>> myorigin = /etc/mailname ['cat /etc/mailname'
>> returns mail.funkygibbins.me.uk]
>> mydestination =
>>

> Eek! A blank mydestination isn't good - that means
> no mail will be delivered to the local machine
> that Postfix is running on. At the very least, you
> should have localhost, and probably the host's
> fully-qualified domain name.

Heh! Actually, there was a blank mydestination that appeared /after/ a properly configured one, and obviously negated it while at the same time failing to chuck out an error! However, without your advice I wouldn't have spotted and probably wouldn't have realised the significance if I had. Removing that restarting allowed all the locally sent mail to be delivered.

---8<---

Thanks very much for that advice Nick, and I will take your other comments into account when it comes to making a decision about where my mail is hosted and how it is retrieved and sent.

Sean