[Hampshire] Editing DVD content?

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire Linux User Group
Subject: [Hampshire] Editing DVD content?
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to transfer some old(!) video tapes through to DVD and
PC-playable video clips to help with some training. I can transcribe the
video tapes to DVD OK as I've recently bought a DVD recorder (the first
layer of my somewhat reluctant and downright expensive migration to
digital TV).

So now I have some DVDs with the videos on them.

The next job is to take those videos, tidy them up by removing some
clutter and out-of-date information, extract specific pertinent clips
and put the end results back onto DVDs.

So the question is, what tools should I look at for doing this and just
how do I go about it?

I've been looking at and trying what feels like dozens of packages, but
I have still to actually find a combination that works, so I'd
appreciate some pointers.

Kino looks like a reasonable choice for the editting as I need do very
little with it, though Cinelerra-CV sounds like it should be kept in
reserve. So far though, I haven't found anything that will let me take a
DVD and edit it's content.

Probably I'm missing something `obvious' somewhere, or possibly "The
Tool To Use" is just not working for me (e.g., Xine worked when I first
ran it, but some upgrade/change has, I think, broken it).

What tools do you recommend I look at for this task, please, and what
video format(s) are appropriate for the various stages?

TIA.

ATB,
    Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.