Re: [Hampshire] Editing DVD content?

Author: Chris Aitken
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Editing DVD content?
> The next job is to take those videos, tidy them up by removing some
> clutter and out-of-date information, extract specific pertinent clips
> and put the end results back onto DVDs.
>
> So the question is, what tools should I look at for doing this and just
> how do I go about it?
>
> I've been looking at and trying what feels like dozens of packages, but
> I have still to actually find a combination that works, so I'd
> appreciate some pointers.
>
> Kino looks like a reasonable choice for the editting as I need do very
> little with it, though Cinelerra-CV sounds like it should be kept in
> reserve. So far though, I haven't found anything that will let me take a
> DVD and edit it's content.

You need to convert the video on the DVDs to something that can be
edited. In this case, your tool needs to convert the many VOB files on
the DVD to something editable (like an AVI). Some of the newer (mainly
windows) apps can import from DVD, because of the popularity of DVD
camcorders.

Then you can use your editing too to edit these. I've tried Kino &
Cinelerra. I find Cinelerra and Kino easy to use, but Kino is very
buggy, crashing all the time. I made the decision to buy Sony Vegas
Studio (Win) to edit all the videos I have taken, as I think is much
better than anything availbel from FOSS. It also includes a tool to
author DVD menus and export to DVD.

HTH
Chris