Re: [Hampshire] Why I subscribe to Hants lug

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Why I subscribe to Hants lug

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57383100.hantslug.org.uk.32732': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 19 17:35:12 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Friday 19 January 2007 10:35, Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> I find everyone very helpful on IRC but I only go there if I needed
> an answer fast.
> What's makes Hants lug popular? The reason is that they don't say
> RTFM. Yes fair enough some of us do.. But some of us are lazy.
> I read the Mutt Manual took ages but got there

RTFM is a many edged sword...
* Sometime people are being lazy and just want to been spoon fed the answer
* Somepeople just want to know where in TFM to start and what some of the
terms are
* Sometimes there is no manpage

The art is helping people to help themselves withouting being rude or
arrogant. I do not claim that this is easy but I do believe that the
Hants-LUG seems to be populated by some helpful people that makes it a very
civil place to inhabit.

As you say there are some places that are occupied with helpful but clueless
types and plenty of places occupied by skilled and unhelpful people.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I've found that people who are great at something are
not so much convinced of their own greatness as
mystified at why everyone else seems so incompetent.
    -- Paul Graham, "Great Hackers" 2004