[Hampshire] Linux, ViviCam 3830S and photoediting software

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Linux, ViviCam 3830S and photoediting software
I have again been asked to install Linux. \o/ The instal should be
trouble-free, with the exception of the digital camera which the chap has.

Google informs me that the ViviCam 3830S is not specifically known to be
compatible with Linux, but that this is not a big deal because the card can
just be removed and put in a card reader, and off you go.

I would be grateful for the group's comments on the accuracy of this
information.

The chap also wants me to include some photoediting software. This is an area
about which I know zilch. Again, I have Googled and looked over my own
software. The current Linux Magazine is featuring photoeditors and image
manipulators. But I know so little about the subject that I would be
grateful for some subjective advice. What programs do you lot like? He is
only at beginning amateur level, so will not be another Stephen Davies, nor
have requirements as exacting as I suspect Stephen's to be.

TIA
Lisi