Re: [Hampshire] Linux, ViviCam 3830S and photoediting softwa…

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux, ViviCam 3830S and photoediting software

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x570d7100.hantslug.org.uk.2348': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 19 18:23:05 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
hantslug@??? wrote:
> I have again been asked to install Linux. \o/ The instal should be
> trouble-free, with the exception of the digital camera which the chap has.
>
> Google informs me that the ViviCam 3830S is not specifically known to be
> compatible with Linux, but that this is not a big deal because the card can
> just be removed and put in a card reader, and off you go.

That's great and also true! :) Modern Linux distros will automatically
recognise card readers and cards on insertion. The contents will then be
made available (usually via a desktop icon). GNOME also detects if the
card contains photos and brings up a "photo import" dialogue box.

Some modern distros also support the PTP protocol used by some
manufacturers (notably Canon) when they don't implement their cameras as
mass storage devices. As an example, I notice no difference on my Ubuntu
Edgy system between plugging in my PTP camera and a non-PTP one. The
same import program appears and the computer does all the hard work for
me. Which is just as it should be.

> The chap also wants me to include some photoediting software. This is an area
> about which I know zilch. Again, I have Googled and looked over my own
> software. The current Linux Magazine is featuring photoeditors and image
> manipulators. But I know so little about the subject that I would be
> grateful for some subjective advice. What programs do you lot like? He is
> only at beginning amateur level, so will not be another Stephen Davies, nor
> have requirements as exacting as I suspect Stephen's to be.

There are two sides to the coin same really. One is photo management,
the other is photo editing. In the former, programs like digikam or
F-spot are probably best. Personally I prefer F-spot but obviously it's
your choice. Basically these programs help categorise and sort your
photos based on EXIF data in the images and other tags you may assign an
image. Right click on the images and you can edit in the program of your
choice.

There's only one serious contender for photo editing on Linux, and
that's the GIMP. Photoshop addicts will tell you the GIMP isn't as good
as Adobe's market leading product. Perhaps it isn't, if you're used to
Photoshop. However, GIMP is very competent at manipulating images. I use
it happily for tweaking my photos and I know I'm not the only
photography enthusiast (urgh) in the LUG to do so.

FWIW, I was given this book for Chirstmas and it's been really useful.
Some ground was familiar, but I've learnt a lot of useful tips:

http://tinyurl.com/2vdl58

HTH,

Tony