Re: [Hampshire] Linux, ViviCam 3830S and photoediting softwa…

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux, ViviCam 3830S and photoediting software

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57cd7100.hantslug.org.uk.1991': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 19 23:14:49 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
john lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:39:37 +0000
> David Rozzell <hantslug@???> wrote:
>
>> I find Digikam is good for photo management, easy to get on with
>> (even my mother uses it without supervision :) ) & I use The Gimp
>> for image manipulation, it's a very good tool IMHO
>
> Considering all the nice things said about digikam I thought about
> installing it BUT 'dependencies' require me to install 83 packages
> including things I'll never use and do not want like kmail and
> konqueror, kdesktop and other kjunk.

Well, digikam is a KDE app. It uses KDE stuff to run and depends on KDE
libraries. F-spot if very much a GNOME and Mono app, so depends on the
necessary libraries from that camp. You might find something like gqview
a lot lighter on dependencies but it doesn't have half the features.

Rightly or wrongly, a lot of the desktop innovations happen in KDE and
GNOME, and a lot of new applications appear there first. If you chose
not to use them and keep related libraries off your system (and it's a
perfectly valid choice - don't get me wrong) you have to live with fact
that you're going to miss out on some applications.

> and why the h**l does it need exim4, procmail & cdparanoia

It doesn't. At least, not directly. If you check out the package
information, none of those are direct requirements of the package:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/digikam

It'll be one of the dependent packages that depends on having an MTA
installed. Debian's default MTA is Exim, so that's what it tries to
install. If you have an MTA installed already, you wouldn't see Exim
trying to be installed.

HTH,

Tony