Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Dependency Madness - was Debian Etch …

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Dependency Madness - was Debian Etch andSynaptic?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x568b4100.hantslug.org.uk.12289': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 21 13:59:39 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 13:47 +0000, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Jack Knight wrote:
> > Thanks Al, but I'd rather just use mplayer for everything, because it
> > really *does* seem to play just about anything given the right codecs.
> > I've googled, hacked and fiddled, removed totem completely and firefox 2
> > *still* tries to open stuff with totem. I've removed caches, changed
> > mime types and finally symlinked /usr/bin/totem to /usr/bin/gmplayer,
> > which kind of works albeit ps ax shows totem running!
>
> Speaking of mplayer and Ubuntu, I tried to install it recently and
> couldn't find it with an 'apt-cache search'. Anyone able to point me in
> the right direction?

Standard answer to pretty much anything like this is "check the ubuntu
wiki". Visit http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ and punch in the name of the
program in the top right. Here's MPlayer page:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MPlayer

Cheers,
Al.