Re: [Hampshire] 22% of Windows Installs Non-Genuine

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 22% of Windows Installs Non-Genuine
Quoting Gordon Scott <gordon@???>:

> I think quite a few places do/did this .. file the licences and install
> discs away safely and just install all systems on the site with the same
> disc. Whoops one `Genuine' installation and a couple of dozen
> `Non-Genuine'.
>
> The whole situation is stupid.
>
> FWIW, though I know there's a fair bit of piracy, I think quite a lot of
> it occurs by who are OK about a ripped-off copy of something, but if
> they couldn't get a free ripped-off copy would simply shrug and walk
> away. The presumption of the anti-piracy lobbys is that they're losing
> vast amounts of business. Maybe so, but I think they're losing _far_
> less than they think.

Yep not suprising when you find out that a copy of vista home premium (basic is
bobbins) is £220! I mean who would pay that? Its horrendously overpriced.
Apparently some group researched Microsofts pricing of windows and concluded
that microsoft priced as high as possible for profit rather than pricing low
enough for max volume of sales and profit. They would make just as much money at
a lower price and higher volume of legal sales but they choose to overprice instead.

I got my copies of windies from work(tech support) and havent bought a copy
either legal or illegal.

Martin N