Re: [Hampshire] One box, 2 NICs - but with the same MAC addr…

Author: Tim B - Systems
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] One box, 2 NICs - but with the same MAC address
It's possible I suppose, but is it really critical that they are the same?

There are people more expert than I on the subject of networking, but I think
we'd all agree that different IPs (probably different subnets) would be far
preferable.

Is this for a server?

With nfs you can restrict a particular shared filesystem to a range of IPs (or
single IP) and it can be done with Samba as well. I can't really see a need
for using the same IP on both cards, unless you're REALLY running out of IPs
on the network. (and I mean you've used all the potential IP adresses)

I agree with your policy on the router doing all the NAT. you could run a
modem to a Linux box and do the NAT there, but that's what most routers do
anyway.

Best of luck,

Tim B.

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 09:49, Bond, Peter wrote:
> The idea makes me cringe, but someone has decided that it would be a "good"
> idea (for certain values of good) to have 2 network ports on the same
> system with the same MAC & IP addresses (well, they'll never be on the same
> physical network)... I don't think this is sane, sensible or conforming to
> general networking principles; am I being fair to refuse it? I can see all
> sorts of problems, and I maintain that it is the responsibility of an
> upstream router to perform any NAT that is required (along with the
> redundancy switching).
>
> And if I'm being more-than-usually unreasonable, is there a way of
> achieving it without rewriting chunks of the stack?
>
> Peter

> This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
> CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television.
> If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
> message and attachments.
>
> www.tandbergtv.com

Tim Brocklehurst Marine Design
Better Systems - Better Results