[Hampshire] One box, 2 NICs - but with the same MAC address

Author: Bond, Peter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] One box, 2 NICs - but with the same MAC address
The idea makes me cringe, but someone has decided that it would be a "good" idea (for certain values of good) to have 2 network ports on the same system with the same MAC & IP addresses (well, they'll never be on the same physical network)... I don't think this is sane, sensible or conforming to general networking principles; am I being fair to refuse it? I can see all sorts of problems, and I maintain that it is the responsibility of an upstream router to perform any NAT that is required (along with the redundancy switching).

And if I'm being more-than-usually unreasonable, is there a way of achieving it without rewriting chunks of the stack?

Peter

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television.
If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
message and attachments.

www.tandbergtv.com