RE: [Hampshire] Beginner having problems installing linux

Author: Gavin Meikle
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] Beginner having problems installing linux
Hello again
Thanks to everyone who responded to my appeal for help getting Linux to run
on an old Toshiba Portege 7020 Laptop.
I have upgraded the memory to its Max (192MB) and downloaded a live version
op Puppy but I still cannot get it to run.

The loading process goes fine until it gets to the video server bit.
The default choice is Xorg and when I select that I get the following
message and nothing more happens just a flashing cursor.

Probing Video Hardware Please wait...
Calling INT 0x15 (F000:F859)
EAX is 0x5F49
Calling INT 0x15 (F000:F859)
EAX is 0x5F49

When I reboot and choose the Xvesa server I get the following
Type Xwin to start
Xvesa Graphics Server 0x0111 640x480x16
Starting X with video mode 0x0111 and mouse psaux

Then a flashing cursor
I tried typing xwin and 'xwin' but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gavin