Re: [Hampshire] Beginner having problems installing linux

Author: Will Davies
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Beginner having problems installing linux

Gavin Meikle wrote:
> Hello again
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my appeal for help getting Linux to run
> on an old Toshiba Portege 7020 Laptop.
> I have upgraded the memory to its Max (192MB) and downloaded a live version
> op Puppy but I still cannot get it to run.
>
> The loading process goes fine until it gets to the video server bit.
> The default choice is Xorg and when I select that I get the following
> message and nothing more happens just a flashing cursor.
>
> Probing Video Hardware Please wait...
> Calling INT 0x15 (F000:F859)
> EAX is 0x5F49
> Calling INT 0x15 (F000:F859)
> EAX is 0x5F49
>
> When I reboot and choose the Xvesa server I get the following
> Type Xwin to start
> Xvesa Graphics Server 0x0111 640x480x16
> Starting X with video mode 0x0111 and mouse psaux
>
> Then a flashing cursor
> I tried typing xwin and 'xwin' but nothing happens.
>
> Any ideas?

[1] Seems to indicate this might be a problem with recent 2.6 kernels.
Adding acpi=off to the list of boot parameters might help. In puppy this
would mean entering "puppy acpi=off" at the point where it gives a 5
second pause. Alternatively puppy109CE was the last version based on a
2.4 series kernel. If you are convinced by the idea of puppy then try
posting to the forum at [2] there is a lot of experience there at
getting old kit to run new software.

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/msg/f892964b71244034?dmode=source
[2] http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/