RE: [Hampshire] Beginner having problems installing linux

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] Beginner having problems installing linux

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Gavin Meikle wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my appeal for help getting Linux to
> run on an old Toshiba Portege 7020 Laptop. I have upgraded the memory to
> its Max (192MB) and downloaded a live version op Puppy but I still
> cannot get it to run.

I have an almost identical spec machine which I have previously run both
Mepis (back in the days it was Debian based) and Ubuntu on, however this
was back in 2005 so I was using older versions of both distros.

If you can get hold of an older version of a live CD that might work
better, I know with Knoppix for example that the newer versions don't
support older machines as well.

But the best bet (if it is at all possible) is for you to come along to
the LUG meeting at Southampton Uni on the 10th Feb. Bring the laptop with
you and there is a good chance someone can sort you out with a working
install.

Andy