Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails
Gordon Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Vic wrote:
>

>>> Happens to me regularly, mostly since I have a lot of domains I
>>> guess - rather than because I'm being explicitly "attacked".
>>
>>Has happened to me precisely 6 times in the last 2.5 years. And 5 of those
>>were in one go. And I have a lot of domains as well.
>

> Hmm .. I wish.
> OK Vic, how do you achieve that please?
>
> I get so many that I've resorted to blocking them at one of my two my
> ISPs, so I get no notifications at all of any real failures, which is a
> very great nuisance.
>
> Before I did that, I was receiving around 6 an hour.

Pah things have tailed off but we were getting a good few hundred per
hour until APnic was partially cut off. Our ex technical director used
to include his work email address and this still gets emails as old
copies of his read me are still out there. lots of mass mailers
hunt through the local disk caches as see tim.bunce@.... and use this
as a in the envelope from - and I see the bounces :-0

Because this address no longer exists we reject the bounce - which
many of the badly configured boxes then send us a bounced bounce
back to postmaster@... At this point they get thier domain added to our
blacklists for complete incompetence. Generally it is postfix that is
the guilty party (usually in .ru as well!).

Jacqui