Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Jacqui Caren wrote:

> > Before I did that, I was receiving around 6 an hour.
>
> Pah things have tailed off but we were getting a good few hundred per hour
> until APnic was partially cut off. Our ex technical director used to include
> his work email address and this still gets emails as old copies of his read me
> are still out there. lots of mass mailers
> hunt through the local disk caches as see tim.bunce@.... and use this
> as a in the envelope from - and I see the bounces :-0

Oh I stopped bouncing most things about four years ago when I was
getting well over 6000 spams and bounces a day. This is my home system
here and that amount of traffic brought it to its knees (though at the
time SpamAssasin I was running as a script .. oops). There was no
processor time left to do any work.

Something like 90% of bounces just bounce again, so your receive the
original bounce, try repeatedly to send your own bounce, get the "not
yet delivered" notice, then the "failure to deliver" notice, or another
bounce. It just multiplies the problem for little real benefit.

For a long time I tolerated it because I felt I should never reject
without an explanation. I had to give up; There is only me here and I
already manually delete a couple or two hundred spam a day that get
through. Goodness knows how much real mail fails to get through, I no
longer have a means to tell. I'm reaching the point where I'm really
beginning to wonder if e-mail still has value. Almost alll I ever do now
is delete the stuff. Practically useless :-(

> Because this address no longer exists we reject the bounce - which
> many of the badly configured boxes then send us a bounced bounce
> back to postmaster@... At this point they get thier domain added to our
> blacklists for complete incompetence. Generally it is postfix that is the
> guilty party (usually in .ru as well!).

I'm only counting bounces that get delivered, so mine are to active
accounts. The spoofs have long since been sent to /dev/null.

--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.