[Hampshire] Basic Ubuntu question

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Basic Ubuntu question
Subject: [Hampshire] Basic Ubuntu question
Hi all

It is with a bit of a shamed face that I ask this question (and I have
googled for it but no answer is obvious)...

I now run Ubuntu for most of my Linux stuff and I'm a bit confused by this
Breezy badger / warty warthog etc.

I know that an Ubuntu version (e.g. 6.06) corresponds to a codename like
badger (though not sure if 6.06 actually = badger), but what I need to know
is:
1) When I run the updates (as it asks me to every time I login), does this
then mean I have the latest distrb (whatever it's called now)? Or would I
have the latest distrib if I ran apt-get dist-upgrade?
2) How do I find out the codename (or the version for that matter) of the
distrib I have?

Thanks - feeling a bit of a berk
Rob