Re: [Hampshire] Basic Ubuntu question

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Basic Ubuntu question
On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:16:00PM +0000, Andy wrote:
> On 08/02/07, Rob Malpass <rob@???> wrote:
> >1) When I run the updates (as it asks me to every time I login), does this
> >then mean I have the latest distrb (whatever it's called now)? Or would I
> >have the latest distrib if I ran apt-get dist-upgrade?
>
> If you are using update manager, then it depends.
> 6.06 will NOT update to 6.10 automatically.
> This is because 6.06 is an LTS release,(LTS = Long Term Support).

Er. Not *quite* true. No release automatically updates to the next release. You *have* to tell
the update manager that you want to upgrade from 6.06 to 6.10 or 6.10 to 7.04. It wont do it
without you telling it to.

> >2) How do I find out the codename (or the version for that matter) of the
> >distrib I have?

lsb-release can tell you that.

My desktop:-

alan@wopr:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        7.04
Codename:       feisty

My wifes desktop:-

alan@mother:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        6.06
Codename:       dapper

> >Thanks - feeling a bit of a berk
> Feeling pleased, finally a question I can sort of answer :)

:)

Cheers,
Al.