[Hampshire] Decent PCI wireless cards

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Decent PCI wireless cards
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:43:28 +0000
> From: Paul Tansom <paul@???>
> Subject: [Hampshire] Decent PCI wireless cards
> To: hampshire@???
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for decent PCI wireless network
> cards? I'm not worried about Linux support here (well, I do want Linux
> support, but that's not the question I'm asking). What I'm interested in
> is quality of connection and compatibility with WAPs.

For the last few years I've been using Netgear MA311 Wireless b PCI
cards with various Windows XP, Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu PCs with no
problems at all.
I seem to remember researching that these cards can contain one of two
wireless chipsets based on when it was bought but both chipsets are
supported in Linux.
I use them with a Netgear DG834g wireless router and the connection
quality has been great.

I think with Windows there is a slightly odd installation procedure
where the drivers have to be installed before physically installing
the card. Netgear sometimes bundle their own dodgy connection monitor
software in the system try so watch out for that.

Im

--
The DIY Guide to Combating Global Heating
http://www.tiempocyberclimate.org/portal/archive/diy/diy.htm