Re: [Hampshire] Decent PCI wireless cards

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Decent PCI wireless cards
** Imran Chaudhry <ichaudhry@???> [2007-02-08 16:41]:
> >Message: 7
> >Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:43:28 +0000
> >From: Paul Tansom <paul@???>
> >Subject: [Hampshire] Decent PCI wireless cards
> >To: hampshire@???
> >
> >Does anyone have any recommendations for decent PCI wireless network
> >cards? I'm not worried about Linux support here (well, I do want Linux
> >support, but that's not the question I'm asking). What I'm interested in
> >is quality of connection and compatibility with WAPs.
>
> For the last few years I've been using Netgear MA311 Wireless b PCI
> cards with various Windows XP, Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu PCs with no
> problems at all.
> I seem to remember researching that these cards can contain one of two
> wireless chipsets based on when it was bought but both chipsets are
> supported in Linux.
> I use them with a Netgear DG834g wireless router and the connection
> quality has been great.
>
> I think with Windows there is a slightly odd installation procedure
> where the drivers have to be installed before physically installing
> the card. Netgear sometimes bundle their own dodgy connection monitor
> software in the system try so watch out for that.

** end quote [Imran Chaudhry]

Hm, as ever a totally opposite view of something. It seems as though it
may come down to chipsets in many cases with NICs I think. I've got a
Netgear wired ADSL router working nicely at one customer, and that's in
a pretty harsh environment for an office - worries the wooodgits out of
me sometimes all the steel dust around!!! One day I'll track down a
decent filter to go over the PC vents, etc., and I probably ought to
look into getting a decent antistatic PC vac and do some maintenance
visits, but those things cost a fortune. I think the last supplier did
it with an ordinary vaccuum!!!

I must install Ubuntu as a dual boot on this machine. It would be great
to see how much of the issue is hardware and how much is driver
software. I still haven't got Ubuntu wireless networking up and running
yet though - not so hot on the WPA-PSK on the version I've got on my
laptop and I've not got back to it since the first install attempt :(

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/