Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails

Author: Mat Grove
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:21:04 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Mat Grove wrote:
>
> > I went from me@??? to mjeg@??? and
> > wrote a script to allow email from known addresses to the old
> > address for a while, then I just deleted it.
>
> Unfortunately all that does is multiply the number of mails that get
> sent. I still get hundreds of spams to addresses thet were deleted
> years ago (and hundreds more to message-IDs from newsgroups from
> nearly 20 _years_ ago when I was using DOS for my internet connection
> at 1200 Baud).

This hasn't happened to me.

> I stopped using volatile email addresses when I started getting spem
> to them in less than 48 hours, probably 6 or 7 years ago now.
>
> Just because the address is `dead', it doesn't mean some machine
> somewhere doesn't still have to deal with the spam in perpetuity.

It gets rejected during the SMTP conversation though - very little CPU
and as little bandwidth used possible. Is this still too much for you?

sudo grep "me@matthewgrove" /var/log/exim4_in/mainlog | wc -l
13

So today so far I have had 13 try, down from hundreds of spams per day
when it was in use.

Mat