Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Mat Grove wrote:

> I went from me@??? to mjeg@??? and wrote
> a script to allow email from known addresses to the old address for a
> while, then I just deleted it.

Unfortunately all that does is multiply the number of mails that get
sent. I still get hundreds of spams to addresses thet were deleted years
ago (and hundreds more to message-IDs from newsgroups from nearly 20
_years_ ago when I was using DOS for my internet connection at 1200
Baud).

I stopped using volatile email addresses when I started getting spem to
them in less than 48 hours, probably 6 or 7 years ago now.

Just because the address is `dead', it doesn't mean some machine
somewhere doesn't still have to deal with the spam in perpetuity.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.