Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails

Author: Mat Grove
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:13:50 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:

> > sudo grep "me@matthewgrove" /var/log/exim4_in/mainlog | wc -l
> > 13
>
> Not quite sure what this is supposed to prove, but...

I was just showing that by changing the address to be rejected the
number of emails to it have fallen off considerably.

> ...though I hadn't realised basingstoke-beekeepers was being hit so
> hard. I see only about a dozen of those each day.
> Must explore that :-(
>
> There are other `dead' addresses apart form those above, but you get
> the picture.

If they are 'dead' why are your still downloading email for them? Or
have I misunderstood? When I discard an address I delete the alias for
it so emails addressed to it bounce.

> My loss of SMTP delivery when I changed to DSL was and remains a
> _severe_ handicap in rejecting spamabout which I frequently lobby. I
> may soon pull the plug and move elsewhere, where I _can_ get SMTP.

Having control of the SMTP server certainly gives you more options when
it comes to fighting spam. Good luck with your email.

Mat