Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Mat Grove wrote:

> > There are other `dead' addresses apart form those above, but you get
> > the picture.
>
> If they are 'dead' why are your still downloading email for them?

Because I have to use POP3 and I have to do something with them to get
rid of them. If I just ignore them, the mailbox fills. I don't have any
mechanism to blindly delete them, though I suspect that's possible. I
don't really have a strategy for deleting mails on the server that are
not for me either. It sounds easy until one tries to do it, though the
envelope-to field may be safe. I also run a few mail redirections for
various things and managing them is a bit of a nightmare when everything
keeps being changed. Postfix's virtual sevices help, but every change I
make has to be in several places and sometimes I miss one .. until
someone complains :-(.

> Or have I misunderstood? When I discard an address I delete the alias
> for it so emails addressed to it bounce.

They bounce, but only from my local machine and deliver to there is only
by POP3. I really, _really_ want my SMTP delkiver back. Maybe it's time
I finally abandoned that ISP and domain, but I've been with they almost
from the start and I've always liked them.

> > My loss of SMTP delivery when I changed to DSL was and remains a
> > _severe_ handicap in rejecting spamabout which I frequently lobby. I
> > may soon pull the plug and move elsewhere, where I _can_ get SMTP.
>
> Having control of the SMTP server certainly gives you more options when
> it comes to fighting spam. Good luck with your email.

Darned right. I _used_ to have a setup that rejected unwanted
connections right at the start, where it _should_ be done. POP3 is most
definitely _not_ for my type of connection, especially after all these
years of Net presence.

I can see why ISPs are reluctant to supply it .. I could
see all sorts of issues with mismanaged MTAs and relaying, though I
think all sensible MTAs now have relaying OFF by default.

In fact, I think I've just convinced myself that it's probaly time to
move on from that domain and ISP. One last lobby for the service and if
I get a "no", I do it.

ATB,
    Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.