Re: [Hampshire] XP built for qemu

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] XP built for qemu
On Sunday 11 February 2007 15:29, Nick Chalk wrote:
> Alasdair Ross <alasdair.ross@???> wrote:
> > What counts as "the machine"? I assume that, on
> > a desktop PC, I could have replaced any
> > individual component and continued to use the
> > key, but then it becomes a bit like the
> > situation of replacing a broom handle one year
> > and the broom head the next and still calling it
> > the same broom.
>
> I seem to remember MS saying that the motherboard
> was the critical component - if that changes, then
> it's a new machine.
>
> However, this page...
>    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
> describes a more complex system - look for
>    "Can hardware components be changed and
>     upgraded?"
> and following questions.

> Nick.
>
> --
> Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
> Confidence is failing to understand the problem.

Well I changed the motherboard (but not the processor) and video card and then
reinstalled XP Home OEM (maybe thats something I should not admit to
doing :o ) and during the installation I had to phone microsoft to get a new
code. Just told them that the motherboard went pop and had to replace it with
a new one. They seemed happy with the explanation.

Tim

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html