[OT] Re: [Hampshire] XP built for qemu

Author: Mat Grove
To: hampshire
Subject: [OT] Re: [Hampshire] XP built for qemu
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:35:33 +0000
john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:

> I don't give a toss for m$ definition of 'a machine', for me it is
> the system that is called a specific hostname on my network.
>
> So this box called benden.pern is on its third case, its fourth
> motherboard/processor (ie progression from Intell 386 > AMD Athlon
> and several harddrives. Most other components have changed as well.
>
> But then it has never had a m$ O/S on it unless you count OS/2.

I'm sure most people on this list don't care, but while we are
ranting... historically my computer names are tied to the motherboards.
Now that increasingly my machines are virtualised this is messing up my
simple definition.

More interestingly the increase in virtualisation has meant that we are
allocating more IP addresses at work and the DNS name space is becoming
increasingly complex (polluted). This is because we have the same
amount of money for servers but because new machines have so much
welly we are running more operating system instances. Perhaps this will
help drive the move to IPV6.

Mat