Re: [Hampshire] XP built for qemu

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] XP built for qemu
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:29:49 +0000 (UTC)
Nick Chalk <nick@???> wrote:

> I seem to remember MS saying that the motherboard
> was the critical component - if that changes, then
> it's a new machine.
>
> However, this page...
>    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
> describes a more complex system - look for
>    "Can hardware components be changed and
>     upgraded?"
> and following questions.

I don't give a toss for m$ definition of 'a machine', for me it is
the system that is called a specific hostname on my network.

So this box called benden.pern is on its third case, its fourth
motherboard/processor (ie progression from Intell 386 > AMD Athlon
and several harddrives. Most other components have changed as well.

But then it has never had a m$ O/S on it unless you count OS/2.

:-)

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application